HCC - Hybrid Concept Case [DJB] (finished) final pictures and concept explanation

• Hi , this is my new project - HCC , my first scratch build using aluminium
    This will be a classic style case , using the basics of modding but trying to get simple , clean and elegant lines
    In this design I focused in the building method and the functionality principally , that´s the main idea of this mod .
    I will mix materials in the chassis in a way that I never did before , that's why I call it Hybrid Concept Case.

Aluminium "L" shape 19x19x1.5 mm was used to make the basic chasis

hcc0001.jpg

hcc0002.jpg

hcc0003.jpg

hcc0004.jpg

As you can see , I don´t have much variety of tools or a big place to work , but I really enjoy and have a lot of fun in modding xD

hcc0005.jpg

hcc0006.jpg

hcc0007.jpg

With the PSU support in place

hcc0008.jpg

hcc0009.jpg

hcc0010.jpg

With a dummy PSU to check

hcc0011.jpg

hcc0012.jpg

:winken

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Diegojavbau (28. August 2011 23:43)

• It really looks good :) I like it when Cases are completely self made, no pre-produced parts are used and everything fits :) Solid work ;)

• Thanks to All :dancerugly

HDD rack done , it´s made to be removable (do the functionality of the design) , support 3 HDD and carries an 120mm case fan that is the front blowhole fan when the rack is in position

Starting with 2 frames and 6 "u" aluminium frames , 2 for each HDD

hcc0013.jpg

hcc0014.jpg

To secure the HDD´s , I use the base system of the Lian Li HDD rack , but I make my own modification to make a "lock" position

hcc0015.jpg

hcc0016.jpg

The original screw was replaced for this ones

hcc0017.jpg

HDD in position for testing

hcc0019.jpg

hcc0018.jpg

To pull the Hdd to the Lock position I will use some kind of spring , maybe made with rubber or a steel tongue , that is still in development .
    I make a gif image to show how it works

2lbnd39.gif

HDD rack assembled

hcc0020.jpg

hcc0021.jpg

Testing the fan position

hcc0022.jpg

hcc0024.jpg

hcc0023.jpg

All together

hcc0025.jpg

hcc0026.jpg

:winken

• While I don't like the look of the rack that much (I think it's because it does not look as precise as the whole case, but I think the size does matter here - you can't bend alu that exact that you don't see the differences between to parts... you understand? :D), I really really admire the mechanics you have invented... it seems to be solid to me and I think with a spring added it's brilliant, better than these plastic fast screws in commercial cases. So, nice work at all ;)

• Thanks Lunarman .
    Yes , the bends are not as precise as I wish , imbalances looks bigger in small scale , I bend the aluminium manually , so is hard to have a good accuracy for me.
    I not blame the lack of tools , I'm not good in finishing quality , that´s something that I try to get better all the time.

• Well, I did not want to say the quality of your work in general is not good - I only meant in small scale bending aluminium does not look as good as in bigger scale. I would choose other materials, like pmma or something, to cut your slots into. Or maybe I would also choose aluminium parts, but screw them together instead of bending. The slots you cut out for the hard drives look very precise, I just don't like the two outer frame parts...
    Oh hell its 11 AM, I have headache... sorry for my english :D

• Well, I did not want to say the quality of your work in general is not good - I only meant in small scale bending aluminium does not look as good as in bigger scale. I would choose other materials, like pmma or something, to cut your slots into. Or maybe I would also choose aluminium parts, but screw them together instead of bending. The slots you cut out for the hard drives look very precise, I just don't like the two outer frame parts...
    Oh hell its 11 AM, I have headache... sorry for my english :D

OH NO , You don´t say it , I say it :D , I understand well your observations and I totally agree .
    I a fan of Benny's works and y like the clean lines and sharp edges that he make , just using manual tools , that's a good example of the quality that I would like to reach some day.
    At the end of the mod , the aluminium chasis will not be visible and the Hdd rack only when is out of the case , that's why I don't worry about this umbalances and the use a lot of rivets.

• Update : the removable mothertray

This mothertray include the expansion card bracket , I use a piece of an old case to build it , with some modifications

First cut and drawing the second
    hcc0037.jpg

Finished

hcc0038.jpg

Support for this piece and the motherboard made with aluminium plate

hcc0039.jpg

hcc0041.jpg

hcc0040.jpg

hcc0042.jpg

I can´t get the job as clean as I would like :(

I make a similar system that I did fo the hdd rack to lock it into the case

hcc0043.jpg

hcc0044.jpg

hcc0045.jpg

hcc0046.jpg

hcc0047.jpg

• LOL , I think you are right :D
    For this project I want a "bold" looking , but if everything reach a happy ending , most of the structure will not be visible

• Modding fans : painting and leds

Disassembly and masking for painting

hcc0034.jpg

Painting

hcc0035.jpg

hcc0036.jpg

Reassembled

hcc0048.jpg

Adding leds

Preparing the light's sperms :D

hcc0049.jpg

In place

hcc0050.jpg

Hiding cables

hcc0051.jpg

Inside view

hcc0052.jpg

Image gallery

With flash

hcc0053s.jpg

Without flash

hcc0054.jpg

Cyclops army

hcc0055.jpg

• Do you remember the MDF pieces ? Here start the build of the "coffin" that will contain the aluminium chasis

1001148s.jpg

Side panel

1001161i.jpg

Building process

hcc0056.jpg

Testing compatibility

hcc0058.jpg

hcc0057.jpg

The edges will be rounded , so I glue some MDF sticks to reinforce the unions

hcc0059.jpg

Images of the coffin fully closed (glued) beside the aluminium chasis

hcc0060.jpg

hcc0060.jpg

Working the MDF to get more soft and elegant lines

hcc0062.jpg

hcc0063.jpg

Ready for primer

hcc0064.jpg

Grey primer , putty and sanding again

hcc0070.jpg

Primer again (The shop only have red primer :/ )

hcc0071.jpg

This model must be reproduced in fiberglass , but this will be done in other moment because I'm running out of time in a modding tournament with this project